Sunday, January 13, 2008

First baseball practice

Wow, what a confusing day. I showed up at 2:00 when we were supposed to have practice. I started playing catch with a guy there, then I took some fly balls and ground balls. Afterward, one of the players asked me to be on their team. That got me thinking, hmmm, maybe this isn't the right team. Sure enough, the elementary school coach came up to me and said, "Practice, uhhhh, delay, ok? 4:00 PM. Hey when you don't know their names, they really do look very similar. And as a friend of Debbie and her brother, who happens to be Chinese said, "There was a look alike contest in China, they all won." So unless I know their names, it is very hard to know who is who. You try remembering which guy is Kim Sung Joon, and which one is Kim Sang Yoon. Sang and Sund sound very similar as do Joon and Yoon. On the plus side though, I know all 12 names of my students from my morning class. I think Debbie and Christina may not know any of their students' name.
Anyhoo, the manager for the elementary school is apparently the manager for the adult team I will play on, although I don't remember seeing him out there with the elementary school during practice. I am not sure how it actually works with them. But I did notice that it is WAAAAY too serious for kids that are 9-12 years old. It's ok to be serious, but kids that young don't need to be getting yelled at like that after every inning. I don't know much Korean, but I do know when someone is yelling at another. The kids looked scared to play. I don't think they ended up winning. And I found out later that I don't think my team even practiced, so I don't know who was wanting me to get measured for a uniform. I hit with a few of his team members for about 45 minutes, then left as he tried to get me to stay for a uniform. I guess I told him I would be on his team, again, thinking it was the regular team that I was supposed to be playing on. oops. At least I got a few hundreds cuts in the cage. Guess that's all for now. Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home