Friday, January 18, 2008

baseball opening ceremony





The pictures are of my 130,000won(apprx $140) bottle of wine that I was given at the "opening ceremony" for my baseball team. Everyone on the team was given one, including my co-worker, who is only on the team cuz he can speak English and Korea. He says he has never played baseball.

This "opening ceremony" was more of a big deal than I expected. There were 8 huge flower things, not the real name for them, but they are taller and wider than I am all fresh flowers and I can't imagine what they cost. I got to admit, they do smell really good though. Our sponsor is a local TV station, and I guess they pay for everything, including the food, which included big trays of fruit, chicken, beef ribs, sushi, shrimp and of course the always present octopus and kimchi. I was just expecting it to be a bunch of Koreans sitting in a small restaurant eating pork and drinking soju. I can't wait to see what they will give us if we do really well, or what about if/when I hit a HR. I wonder if there will be gifts for playing well. hahahahaha. Debbie is hoping for more wine. I told her I got this bottle of wine for her, but once we looked in a pamphlet that was in the bag and saw the price, I decided I will try some of it.

I am really hoping they don't hassle me about doing things the "Korean baseball" way. I think our body types are a wee bit different, and I have been doing the "American baseball" way for oh, probably about 25 years, so don't think I will be changing it. We are apparently a "new team" so this is the first year for us. the 8 guys sitting at my table are all younger than me, so maybe they can play ball a little bit better than the team in Masan from last year. The last thing I had to do is cut the cake. I guess cuz I am the foreigner. It was me, the team director, the manager and I think 2 of the big wig businessman for the photo op. Maybe it is good press for them if they show up in a newspaper with a Megook(American). Thats all for now. Cheers.

3 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am glad you were able to figure out which team was yours.
Do not recall you making the comment about the "Korean way of playing ball", what is it?

Am guessing that all is going well with everything else, settled in and school is fine!!??

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Debbie said...

Glad you make me sound like a wine-o. haha

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous party venues in los angeles said...

This web site is mostly a walk-by way of for all the information you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you’ll definitely discover it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home